Read Chapter 3.
Please make two posts over the next 2 weeks:
1. Respond on the blog to the third question on page 41, "What item on the list do you need the most in your life right now?" Why?
2. Choose one quote from the chapter that "resonates" with you and share why it is meaningful to you.
Next session is Feb 22 at noon PST.
Be encouraged,
Becky
Pam in Texas
ReplyDeleteResponding to the third question on page 41 I need first and foremost "direction" from God. Secondaly, I need healing and hope.
Both of these were built in to the factors that led me four years ago to commmit to daily reading, study, and prayer.
Pam in Texas
ReplyDeleteResponding to question two the passage that means much to me is found on page 39:
"Even as I uncovered personality flaws about myself during parayer, God's love seemed to form a strong wall of protection in my life."
Using the praise, admit, request, and thank format it was at first hard to "write in the admit and request" secions. But as I learned to "let go" and talk to God like I would to anyone else these became easier.
So, this passage helps to soften or caress the thoughts that I have about my personality flaws and how God surrounds me with love even though he knows these things about me.
Pam in Texas
ReplyDeleteLast one, but interesting and valuable: As I prepared to read Chapter Three, I read my email which included the electronic devotional of Max Lucado (Thurs, Feb 9, Take Up Your Cross).
This message resonated with me as it included the encouragemenet to look at my spiritual DNA (direction, need, abilityy) and listen to the Lord to identify my uniqe call or assignment.
As a former science teaacher, to parallel the physical genetic DNA with spiritual makeup DNA is exciting and fits right with my reading and study of the Let Prayer Change Your Life.
Pam, thank you for such a well written, insightful answer. I particularly was drawn to "helps me soften or caress the thoughts that I have about my personality flaws." A gentle nudge to help us be what God wants us to be. I am so thankful to God for loving me. I didn't know about "DNA" good food for thought.
DeleteI am surprised by my answer, I chose favor with God. Sitting here I find myself not able to articulate why but know that it is a real desire of mine that God would find favor in me. I have seen over and over the power prayer has even with those prayers that somehow don't seem to move. I was struck by my love of journalling that God put in my heart many years ago and now it is a record of his answers to my feeble attempt to pray. When I was in Vermont 2 weeks ago taking my son to college, I was on the receiving end of prayer. I had such strong emotions as I dropped him at a place he was scared to death to be. I felt desperate for God's favor on me. Someone prayed for me and God replaced that desperation with trust and assurance that God was in control. Peace came over me.
ReplyDeleteTonight I got an email from a stranger to pray for her sister who is in ICU and needs a liver transplant. I looked at that request differently with more urgency to be disciplined to pray for that woman and the many others that God has brought to my list. I believe that God had me feel desperate last week so I would feel for others needing prayer. Having said that the quotes that resonate with me are found on page 37 Becky writes, "When we finally believe that God is calling us to pray, an extra measure of His Holy Spirit is released in us, giving us confidence to make an unusual commitment in prayer." and Andrew Murray's "prayer is in every deed the pulse of spiritual life." on page 41. I do feel called to pray.
Yesterday I prayed for a friend of mine who wanted direction in a certain matter she asked me what I would do and I responded pray and God will show you. OK she said but I don't know how I am going to know. Pray and God will reveal his plan to you. It was no surprise to me when I noticed her initials next to a verse in the bible that I had marked exactly 1 year ago. "The LORD says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you." Psalm 32:8 I prayed, she prayed, and God answered.
This morning she called me saying you won't believe how God answered my prayer.......
I just had to respond now, briefly, because I too am seeing incredible answers to prayer this week. I feel like I am drinking from a firehose! The thing is, difficulties keep coming each day, however, I am seeing breakthrough like I have never seen before. And it has come down to this. Keeping my daily aapt with Him. Sitting in God's presence, praising and thanking Him for everything, confessing and repenting when he shows me and conficts me, and listening and reading His word. Presenting my requests to Him, and listening to Him throughout the day and then responding when He prompts me to pray - just like Robbie quoted Becky above from page 37. I have to come to the place of surrender and deep repentance this week and taken responsibility for conflict in my life. I asked, and He showed me everything. It was devastating, yet, weeping for a night (2 days) and joy comes in the morning! Then, I had to act on my conviction and work towards reconciliation which I am in the process of doing. God is speaking to me mightily in a small group study I am doing on resolving everyday conflict: www.peacemaker.net Yes, I believe God is working!
ReplyDeleteGod has been working this whole time. I had turned my back on Him. He never let go of me.
Oh, I just realized I forgot to mention: I too, was on the receiving end of prayers this past week. I had shared with my peacemaker small group last Monday and they offered to pray for me this week. ALSO, a dear sister in Christ from my church told me this morning that she has been praying for me daily this past month (she has been out of the country) and she asked me how I was doing! I started to cry hearing that she had been praying for me this whole time while she was away...she had been in the peacemaker study but had to leave the country to visit family. Prayer does change your life!!! "LET Prayer Change Your Life" We have to make that choice.
ReplyDeletePraise God for the fellowship of believers!
From page 41, I would say that the benefit of prayer that I desire most is direction. Too often, it seems that there are so many things and people pulling me in different ways. Many are good things; some are not. In trying to sort out these messages, I am sorry to say that I have been guilty of not seeking God's advice often enough. I think that by taking real time to seek his counsel and listen, that the insight I am seeking will be manifest.
ReplyDeletePam in Texas
ReplyDeleteAnd now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatests of these is love. (1 Chorinthians 13:13)
Today use this reminder in our prayer life and bible study to have strong faith, always hope, and love more.
Appropriate also to know that "there is no remedy for love but to love more." Thoreau So, Happy Valentine's Day!
I need direction. Being a new mom of a three month old is wonderful and hard at the same time. I have dreams in my heart that are on hold for obvious reasons. I need God's leading and timing to take next steps when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteYou each encourage me! Please keep the practice of prayer going in your life so that you might experience the power of prayer. Yes? Amen?
ReplyDeleteI have been maintaining at least 20 minutes a day in prayer and study but I have not seen any change in my prayers or my life. So I guess I would say to answer #3 I need direction in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou will. I prayed for years that my husband would go to church with me last year, Becky said write out your prayer and pray it everyday. He has now been going with me for over a year straight. You might think there isn't any difference but sometimes the transformation in us is subtle. Keep the faith.
DeleteI would say direction is what I need most in my life right now. Dealing with life on a daily basis can keep us so busy that we don't take time to "stop for directions" from our heavenly Father. I want and need to follow Jesus daily -- not simply ask Him to bless my daily activities.
ReplyDeleteI would love to see the power of prayer in my life, as well as direction for this season of my walk with God. I am frustrated and discouraged by habits that seem to plague me and I am growing weary in doing good in some of the things I have been involved in for many years. My children are leaving the nest at a rapid pace, my husband's business is doing well which keeps him busy and happy, but my life seems a little stale.
ReplyDeleteThe quote that spoke to me was from Leonard Ravenhill, "No man is greater than his prayer life." (p.41) This is a convicting statement for me as I am much more a do-er than a pray-er.
I struggle with structuring my prayer time. So many needs surround me. I am more aware of the hurts of those in my small group of friends. Just recently a friend separated from her husband and needed intense prayer. I felt so inadequate. I am convicted to be more purposeful with my time. It is easy for me to prepare my Bible study but not so easy to pray.
ReplyDeleteThis has been a rough couple of weeks but I had two big ministry events regarding prayer and that always means there will be an attack! I had to laugh as I thought I didn't want to pick ONE thing off the list - I wanted it all!!! I truly desire healing and hope for my son and that would mean it was for me. We have prayed for 9 years that the doctors would have a good diagnosis for his illness and they continue to be stumped. During this time they discovered rectal cancer and he has struggled through that but they still haven't touched what is causing his continued illness. I keep telling myself that God loves him more than even I can but I need His healing over my son and that is hope for me. The healing will come one day - I believe that - but when!!!!
ReplyDeleteThe item on the list that I need most now is power to walk in love that He has filled me with this past week. Truly, I have had a miracle occur in my relationship with my husband. God has filled me with a love for him that I have never had before. It has been a time of deep grief for me to see my sin for what is was. When I asked God to show me the root of the conflict in my life, He was faithful and did it in a gentle and loving way. I took the time to sit in His presence and grieve. And then He lifted me up, and has healed me of all the pain and hurt of all these years in conflict. I have been set free by forgiveness, and I had to apologize to my husband and to my children as well. It was hard, painful, humbling and I was feeling fear. He stayed with me the whole time and walked me through everything. I truly was oppressed from the enemy - confusion, division and cloudiness almost took me under. So now I ask for the power to walk out His love every day, and for His favor. Thus, the quote from chapter 4 really resonates to me: p 50 "For more than 2 decades, I have found that continuous confession and turning from sin leads to healing and growth." Yes, yes, yes! I have had big breakthrough in my prayer time, I have kept my appt everyday, and He has helped me beyond all that I could ask or imagine, and I more comfortable than ever in admitting my weaknesses and shortcomings - espec to family members. This is a work of an AMAZING, faithful loving FATHER.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I just happened upon your cd set, Becky, of your student audio series "Let Prayer Change Your Life" that I bought many years ago. I listened to your first cd that gives your testimony. It is so good! And, God provided a perfect opportunity to play it for my teens in the car this past holiday weekend. My son will graduated from high school this spring and head to college, my daughter will be starting 9th grade in the fall. It was perfect for them to hear your story. Thank you so much!!!!
I would say direction is what I seek most. It's easy to steer of course or have time stolen if I do things my way.
ReplyDeleteA portion of the quote that spoke to me was " Lack of prayer, lack of power". Without God there is no power.
The item from the list I would like to experience more of is "power." God seems to be bringing me to a place of praying for and expecting bigger things- things that will reveal His power. I am content to patiently plug along- trusting in Him, whether I see results or not. So... asking for power is a bit out of my comfort zone and uncharacteristic of how I usually relate to God and others.
ReplyDeleteI teach university international students and am seeing God open doors to share like never before. It's not really my personality-to be bold- but I sense He's wanting me to pray bigger and expect His power to be evident. May I then be obedient and walk through the doors He opens. Especially with the Muslim students- I sense God is up to something amazing.
May He do more than we ask or imagine. May I pray more boldly expecting His power to be at work like never before!
This chapter has just kind of "hung around on me" this week. Probably because Becky was describing my exact feelings in the middle paragraph of page 39. No matter how much I pray I just have such strong "feelings of love toward God developing in me." That has been true for many years and that entire paragraph made me think how I grow more like Him when I get to know Him better and I have truly felt that hurt, embarrassment and shame of disappointing God in my actions. I have read that paragraph over and over as I know that there is no way I could ever pray enough or study God's word enough to truly know God as well as I want to!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, finally got around to this assignment, very last minute. I find myself in a few study courses this winter, and am trying to devote time to each one. I found myself copying notes from a Bible study, over to this study because (so like God), they go hand in hand.
ReplyDeleteI selected Direction for my first answer.
I'm trying to form some new goals and dreams and habits. I asked my small group at Bible study tonight, to pray that I would make time to serve, study and yes prayer fits in there.
No Man is Greater than His Prayer Life. That resonates with me. I do need to write my prayers down, and journal much more than I do. So, a new focus from this chapter, and notes scribbled in which came from tonight's Bible study group and totally coincide with this chapter as well.
Behind in my posting, but here goes...
ReplyDeleteWhen asked which of the itmes I most desire today? Well, truth be told, I struggle to choose 1. It is another reminder how crazy life is...
Healing and hope would be first
then miracle
then direction.
the most memorable quote?
written pray was "eye contact, reminding me that this was a 2 way conversation.
What I wanted most was direction...yet i judge that sadly to be so self centered. My second was favor in that I feel like I see a shadow of God's reality and truth but do not feel certainty in it. I also don't feel his love for me or mine for him. Again self centered but his 'favor' for me would be him opening my eyes and revealing himself fully.
ReplyDelete"as an adventurous person, the power of God through prayer had initially drawn me to him". I love adventure yet so many times it still leaves you thirsty. Drinking that 'water' where u thirst no more sounds like such a fulfilling life. I'm at midlife and making the most of my time here and having purpose has always sooo important to me.
"What item on the list do you need the most in your life right now?" Why? I marked power and miracles. His power to overcome my failures and His miracles to restore my family from some things that have happened.
ReplyDeleteChoose one quote from the chapter that "resonates" with you and share why it is meaningful to you. “The inevitable moment when God spoke correction into my life with buffeted by a soft blanket of his comfort and concern surrounding me, making the discussions bearable.” I know I need correction, there are some people I need to forgive, some people and things I need to give up. I expect a harsh mean response. This shows me that he loves me and wants what is best for me.