The purpose of this session/chapter is to lay a foundation for two-way conversations with God. I have found no other way to make and keep an appointment with God than to talk to Him -- pouring out my heart, sharing my struggles, or interceding for others -- and then spending equal (if not more time) listening to God talk to me (through His Word, His Holy Spirit, circumstances, and the confirmation of others).
One of the benefits of written prayer is the insight it gives you as you listen to God...it is a a record of what you've heard God say to you--His advice, ideas, intervention, inspiration, conviction, and counsel. Over time His voice becomes more and more familiar.
FYI: As you probably know I was an alcoholic and went to MANY happy hours during those years. I went to socialize, unwind, talk and listen, laugh, and relax...until my altered state of mind couldn't even talk or listen anymore! But the "point" of the happy hour was to interact in fun conversation with others...a place to give and get feedback, encouragement and empathy.
Perhaps that is why, after I became a Christian, I found an hour a day with God to be an easy transition. I'm relational. I want be with people who love me (and truthfully, the list is short). God loves me and He loves you LIKE NOBODY ELSE LOVES US! Why not talk to Him and listen to Him daily?
With God, you can be honest, really transparent with your stuff because He already knows it, He wants to help you change for the better, and He is a FORGIVING, encouraging presence.
Please consider Who you are meeting with when you meet each day...
Assignment: Please read the chapter, fill in the blanks, and respond with the answer to the following questions (there are no right or wrong answers):
Do you find it helpful to make an appointment with God for a certain amount of time each day? Why or why not? Have you ever made a life-long decision to spend time with God daily? Why or why not? If so, please share how it has changed your life. If not, share what you think holds you back from making such a decision.
Be encouraged,
Becky
"I need God everyday" Becky "Me too!" robbie
ReplyDeleteWithout a daily time with God, I would not make it through the day. He gets me up every morning and carries me through the day to bring me home at night. I wouldn't even be able to sleep if it wasn't for my time with God. He gives me the comfort and peace that I need to fall asleep in his everlasting arms.
ReplyDeleteI aree 100% with all of the above!
ReplyDeleteWhile I have had a daily appointment with God for several years (thanks to Becky, I've read through the Bible more than four times!), but I find I want a more involved time, so it seems part of the answer is more time. In the same way that I exercise every day, increasing the time as needed for various events, I think that I need to increase my time for my time with God. I'll never have more time; I need to make more time. The recent exercises have shown how I "fritter" time throughout the day. A little more organization will make an hour materialize where I didn't realize one existed before!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Noel. I need more time, and more specific a time.
ReplyDeleteI spent varying amounts of time now and am not consistent. My schedule is pretty much the same, but needs fine tuning I think.
I just want to share an ancient form of reading scripture and meditating on it which is called,
ReplyDelete"Lectio Divina" literally "sacred reading" It involves reading a selected passage of scripture, slowly, out loud. Reflecting on it, chewing on it, reponding to it, and then resting in it. It has been compared to music on a page verses music, played by a musician. I can totally relate to this because, what would music be if we just left it on a page, in black and white?? I have been doing this with passages from the Gospels for the Lenten season readings. It is an encounter with God, in His word, that takes the word from our mind, to our heart and then to our hands out to our family, friends, community. I encourage you to try it - google it. It has been life changing!
I've spent my life making lists, making notebooks, keeping calendars...when I was 32 God showed me that scripture is full of instructions on being organized in all areas of my life. I totally agree with so many of your responses because if I didn't have that calendar spot reserved for my quiet time I would slowly watch my days go flying by - and it didn't take me long to realize that my day would never be God's plan if I didn't have that private time with Him each day.
ReplyDeleteI do have to admit that I don't remember a time when I specifically made a commitment to a quiet time each day. It just sort of grew to that point. I'm glad Becky reminded us of that commitment because it gives me a new respect for the important of making that promise to God.
I agree that making a commitment has to happen in order to have a quiet time daily with God. I never made the actual commitment to it until you (Becky) asked us to formally make it this past January. I had never made a life-long decision to spend time with God daily because I thought it would be virtually impossible to keep. Now, I can see that it is very do-able, and as long as I am alive and breathing, I can make a time daily to meet with God!
ReplyDeleteFor me, it has strengthened every relationship I have, it has taken me to a new level of intimacy with God, it has softened my heart even more to the gospel and the power of the blood of Jesus, the cross, and the true meaning of being "in relationship" not in "religion". I now cannot imagine starting my day without my quiet time. It has given me greater focus and clarity in everything I do. Just like marriage begins with a life long commitment, our relationship with God has to be a life long commitment. I am learning forgiveness, blessing, praying for my enemies and loved ones, and taking the Word of God from the book into my daily life. It has been an amazing 3 months for me!!!! LIFE CHANGING in all areas of my life!
I guess in the last couple of weeks, I have come to some conclusions about my prayer times. Throughout my life, I have had a commitment to prayer. I feel as the years have gone on, I try to be in an attitude of prayer throughout the day as a conversational experience with God (not all out loud). My discouragement comes from my belief in my prayer and God's ability to answer my prayer. I always have believed and still do that this is possible. I lived as I was taught in church, gave my all and stepped out on faith.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hurtful to not see any fruits of these prayers. When you know that God loves you and Christ died for you, but people here can walk away and never give you another thought. When you've prayed and prayed and the answer to your prayers always seem to be "no." When you step out on faith, tithing when you don't have the funds and it ends leaving you with unpaid bills. When you leave the life you've known to assist someone else have a quality of life, believing that even though you have to take half the salary you used to make and know that circumstances can work out to make it all go smoothly and it doesn't. You've cried it out and prayed it out and nothing seems to change, you get discouraged.
I keep believing, though I seemed to keep getting KO'ed! I keep getting back up and trying again and again. I feel I am still missing the biggest piece somehow. These are just my summations of where I feel I still am. I have not made any huge breakthroughs yet in this area. I guess in some ways I feel badly about that, but being honest this is where I am.
I love Him more today than ever and would be nothing without Him. Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
I realized this week that God wants the same thing from me that I want from my husband-time set apart each day to connect, share, reaffirm our love for each other. If my husband and I aren't intentional about this, and many days we are not, our conversations are reduced to urgent matters, plans, schedules, where we have to be and what we have to do. these are all necessary, but not relationship building. The same is true with God. If I don't make time for Him,my prayers are reduced to urgency or duty, neither of which build my relationship with Him.
ReplyDeleteAs of yet, I have not made a commitment to never miss a day with God. I am afraid of making a commitment I won't keep.I try to meet with Him every day, but trying and committing aren't the same.
Right now, most of the time, I find I want to spend more time with God than I usually have. My husband is waiting on me to get to work and give me the toddler. Sometimes, I have a hard time filling up more than 20 minutes. So I guess I haven’t bought in to the exact 60 minute slot yet. While I’ve made a decision to spend time with God daily, it isn’t as simple as just making a “decision” and then always doing it. However, I haven’t been that disciplined (consistent) in any part of my life as a stay at home mom…Much more so when I was working though. “making a decision” to do something with perfection has just proven a set up for failure. However I have found that I crave time with God and our time is developing into something beautiful.
ReplyDelete