In many ways, this chapter puts SO MANY of the other chapters together.
Prayer takes perseverance.
Prayer makes us want to read the Bible.
Prayer leads us to the VERY plans God has for us.
Prayer is NON-NEGOTIABLE if want to be near to God and His will for our lives.
We can make excuses for why we don't pray. We can ignore, avoid, or pretend...
But PRAYER makes a difference in every area of our lives: who we are, how we love, how we live, and why (and hard) we follow God.
As we come down to the last few sessions of this book and year-long series, consider the closing verse:
Psalm 25:14, "The Lord confides in those who fear Him, He makes His covenant known to them."
Be encouraged make an appointment with the King!
Becky
Becky,
ReplyDeleteThank you for today. I always get encouraged after our calls. I am experiencing God's presence in a new way this week. He is so near, so intimate right now. I am just going to sit and savor it for a bit. God Bless you and everyone.
Kathryn
The other day, a friend from church, was at my house at the same time my daughter dropped by to share her disappointment about something. My friend said ,to my daughter, "I would say I will pray for you but I would be lying as I don't pray much anymore". This incident got me thinking exactly what this week's lesson is. Prayer is my lifestyle; as Becky said "Prayer makes a difference." God reveals truths to me and asks me to obey.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure when I started asking that I be a better listener but it has been a constant prayer of mine. Knowing how much I post you can only guess that I am a talker, I am rarely at a loss for words and stories just jump into my head when I am in a conversation. I wanted to be a listener not a talker. 2 years ago I co-led a group of ladies from a shelter through the bible and found God telling me not to talk but to be a listener. If a thought would pop into my head I would hear another thought say not now. God was developing in me trust, both to these women and to God. Sunday night my husband told my daughter take your Mom with you as she is a good listener. I thought Thank You God for developing in me the quality of being a good listener. That happened because I make prayer a lifestyle: a daily, hourly conversation with God.
Well, I think some of His direction I have actually been finding lately. I decided to really put myself into my writing. I want to do Christian writing, but for now I have a smattering of paying jobs writing web content. I took on some which dont even pay unless you have a certain number of page views, but I am building up a portfolio so to speak.
ReplyDeleteToday I got an offer to submit a piece on being a small business owner, which they say may lead to a permanent slot on the Yahoo Small Business network or something like that.
I'm not going to say I directly heard from God on any of this, but that I have been reading and praying verses about working hard, and leading a quiet life. He knows I have been praying for some extra income, and working outside the home with added expense of fuel and meals was not an option.
So, maybe something is on its way. It seems like it.....
It will be interesting to take stock of my prayer list at the beginning of this course, compared to the end of 2012.
...And I no sooner had sent this message here, when I checked my Email and another writing job was waiting for me. Less steady, but they said I had applied before and they were only letting 25 people in and I was one of them. I quickly took a test on their page, passed it and am now on board with them. wow.
ReplyDeletewoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sitting here smiling to myself as I think about this year and how it's been filled with so many unexpected challenges - just like everyone else has. But I am so thankful that I have been in this "group" even though I so often didn't feel well enough to get to the computer! Becky, your comment about prayer being non-negotiable rings so true! Thank you for the reminder. I've used your prayer notebook for years - the little old blue one - and I don't know what i would do without the gift of prayer but i needed to be reminded of how i sometimes take that for granted and don't let it be as serious as "non-negotiable". Just the right word! It just hit me how often I can't wait to get to God to talk to Him about my health situation or a family problem or just sit and listen - but am i remembering that He is really the one that wants me there and do I really put Him first!! Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I are getting ready to take a much needed trip and will be away for much of November. I can't believe this time is almost up and I hope that I will be able to be on calls at least once more. We'll be overseas but hopefully I will be able to blog - but one thing neveR changes - I'll be able to reach MY FATHER!!!
Last week I was away without access to this blog so I am now just catching up. It is always so encouraging to read the posts. I have been attending several Bible studies this fall and really enjoy the fellowship with other believers. This group has been great, but I need the physical presence of believers in my life. I tend to put this study low on my priority list because it is online and easy to brush aside. I have been doing so much better because I have been directly in contact with members of my church in small groups, one on one, and Sunday worship time together. I need physical contact - a hug, prayer together, a hand on my shoulder. The internet is great, but not the same. Thoughts? It has helped my prayer life and encouraged me, and it has given me a call to "action".
ReplyDeleteOh brother, my big old response got eaten.
ReplyDeleteTrying again.
Carol, I was going to say, absolutely we need to fellowship with others and then our real mission field begins when we leave the church doors. God answered my prayers in finding me a wonderful church this year. I'm still new there, so I cant lead any groups but I have been able to share what we are learning and doing online here in this community.
I take Beckys' devotionals, plus what God is showing me in my personal time with Him, and share that. I also like using the resources on Becky's site to share with other people. I think what we are doing here, and when we leave the call each week, has an influence as we do go meet with other believers and as we meet with God alone.
Cindy, three times now I have tried to write and say I hope you are feeling much better, that you have a wonderful time and safe trip and that we do meet up on a call at least one more time!
As for a time when God clearly said no.....
ReplyDeleteI had been training for a position in my old church. The reasons they didnt put me through were not honest nor Biblical *but* if I had been accepted to the position I would have been miserable. They had a very very limited view of whose materials they would use in the women's ministry. I would have felt very confined. I am so glad God shut the door and said no.
Laura,
ReplyDeleteyou are so faithful in your sharing! Thank you for all your comments!
Carol, I diddo that for Laura. Very thankful for her thoughts and follow through.
ReplyDeleteI just thought of a time that I prayed for my son for direction, with his education. We were so surprised that he didn't get into the christian school close to our house for high school. I was so disappointed, but knew there had to be a reason. The school he ended up at was much better for his needs and has continued to show value. He had teachers there that spoke truth and care into his life that reverberates to this day. He graduated there 4 years ago and now is at college. God had a plan that I needed to trust for the outcome. I am still trusting that God will take care of him. Faithfully praying.
I have had a busy two weeks finishing up high school swimming for the last year. My son graduates so I didn't want to miss that. This chapter and call was an eye opener for me also. I have been praying since 2000. But what struck me was to pray for what I should do every day. I pray when we are getting ready to make a "big" decision, but I don't feel I have prayed for what God wants me to do today. Therefore, I have had God tell me yes when I prayed about moving. My other prayer requests are usually about unsaved family. They aren't saved but I don't feel that is a no since God desires everyone to be saved. I can't wait to start praying for God to direct my life everyday. I am sure he will have some great things in store for me.
ReplyDeleteLorraine, that's one I am working on too. Daily direction from God.
ReplyDelete