Your themes during this session include:
Prayer...is a two-way conversation.
Prayer...is a time commitment.
Prayer...is a discipline of your heart and mind (make an appointment with the King)!
Your Assignments (Due before Session Three on February 8th):
Please read Chapter Two of LPCYLW.
Take the self-test and fill in the many blanks as they relate to your prayer life.
Please read page 33 and post your answer from page 34 on the blog:)!
Continue to meet with the King for your 5/5 (or more) each day!
I read every post and am enjoying the conversation!
He is present!
Becky
I read this 2 nights ago:
ReplyDeleteMake Time, Take Time "Don't pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it." -CORRIE TEN BOOM
From Joyce Meyer: "If you struggle to keep your appointments with God, I encourage you to be disciplined and diligent about them. With persistence, you will reach the point where you so enjoy fellowship with Him that you don't want to live a single day without time spent sharing your love for Him and receiving His love for you."
Yes! and Amen!
Thank you for Posting the Quote from CORRIE TEN BOOM
DeleteI just rented the movie of her life "The Hiding Place" and her sister was the one who pushed her and was faithful to read the Bible and pray then encouraged Corrie to do the same. Corrie was NOT that willing at first. Corrie was mad at GOD.
Tagging on to Carol's comment, this excerpt from Philip Yancy got to the essence of the 5/5.
ReplyDelete"As with physical exercise, much of the benefit of prayer comes as a result of consistency, the simple act of showing up....I keep on, though, whether it feels like I am profiting or not. I show up in hopes of getting to know God better, and perhaps hearing from God in ways accessible only through quiet and solitude."
Pam in Texas
ReplyDeleteThe lesson was timely for me. I am reminded that I have made the time appointment and am very disciplined. Now, with each of you and our learning I hope to open my heart to a two way conversation with God.
Possibly, this conversation may be in the form of talking to God about the similarities or parallels I am seeing in my life and the daily readings. For example, in Genesis Joseph was sold into slavery, thrown in prision, etc. and suffered greatly. Yet he was also given success.
Experiencing both suffering and success he grew in humility and in character. Feeling that I am in a similar situation with work, I am hopeful with this lesson and have thanked God and asked him to "show me" more parallels.
Sorry for the rambling...
Pam, it's good to see that you are in this group. I haven't heard from you in a long time. . . . I can relate to your comments about the work situation. Our parents now have 24/7 access to the grade book, which is good for students (I guess), but it adds quite a bit of stress to teachers. Now that we are at the end of the semester, disgruntled parents are quick to react if they don't see grades posted immediately, and sometimes they bypass the teacher and go directly to administration if they don't like the grades they are seeing. I am exhausted right now, but I am also hopeful that this series will help me be more disciplined in all areas of my life. My morning appointments with God are helping me ask Him for strength and wisdom in dealing with students and parents in a kind and helpful way.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm the one who is rambling!
Ramble on...........
ReplyDelete"The simple act of showing up" ..consistency is so huge - thank you Robbie for the quote from Philip Yancy. if you are faithful with the little... ooooo yeah. This is big, this is so important. I really believe God is working. He is working.
ReplyDeleteThe things I would have to give up or change in order to pray each day...I don't think I have to give up much...some time on the computer, some unscheduled time that I fritter away. It is actually kind of embarrassing to think that I would even question whether or not I can fit in 10 or 20 or minutes with God. It is a matter, for me, of scheduling it and doing it. Of course I can find the time!
ReplyDeleteBecky, Becky, Becky! I am so blessed to have had you mentoring me these past 3 years. I listened to the call last night. Please listen if you haven't. Life changing wisdom from God. Thank you that you have been so faithful to meet with the King every day for so many years - look at you! And this message is coming from so many directions at me almost daily. Do you suppose, it may make a difference in our lives???
ReplyDeleteI have been reading Becky's Daily Bible since November 2000. But I go through dry periods where I read my Bible as an item to check off my "to do" list and go about my day. I have also used her "My Partner Prayer Notebook" off and on through the years. What I need to change each day is not to turn my computer on in the morning so that I stay focused on my Bible and time talking with Jesus. This may mean moving my quiet time away from the computer or moving my computer.
ReplyDelete5/5 This last week. God blessings this coming weak.
I've noticed if I have my cell phone nearby when I'm sitting down to read and journal, I can easily get distracted and start texting people- it's always about awesome spiritual things, but it causes me to fritter away my time with Jesus. I need to ask myself if He were sitting right there with me, would I be texting others, or paying attention to Him? Thanks Becky, for the advice about leaving technology in the other room so it won't distract us.
DeletePam in Texas
ReplyDeleteThe Session Two assignment helped me realice that since I have been successful with the discipline of making a daily appointment to read and study, that I am on the right direction to adding time to really pray and talk to God.
The other thing that will greatly benefit the study, learning, praying time is belief that the "talking to God" will help. In other words, keeping faith with "things unseen" is important through the prayer time.
Hi All! I just wrote a very much needed (by me at least, as wee as God) post to you all. It was very authentic and for me, and prayerfully for at least one other, I really needed to share. Then... it disappeared when I ever so bravely hit "publish". I am bummed. I wonder at times like these, if God actuallly intervened, and "ate it up", not wanting me to share, praise Him, or possibly encourage. I have a meeting and must run now. Anyhow, my thoughts are with you all. I don't trust easily anymore. You must know, I feel safe here. I thank all of you, and The Holy Spirit, for that HUGE gift, from above and each of you.
ReplyDeleteBummed but blessed,
Dianne C. (AKA Hope)
I've been told that this disappearance act happens--though I've not experienced it in this platform. That said, in each of my college courses, a "rule" has been established: for longer posts, first write it in a Word Doc (this also becomes a running record of your personal posts), then copy and paste into the Comment Cell on the blog. If it evaporates on the blog, you only need to paste (since the copy is still in memory) until it "sticks." Hope this little blogger tip helps you:)
ReplyDeleteBe encouraged,
Becky
Dear Dianne,
ReplyDeleteI have had that happen, and it is very frustrating. Even though we didn't get to read all of the details, we can still pray for your situation and for God's Holy Spirit to wash over you and ease your fears.
I have had a couple of "bummer days," too, but I know that God hears and answers our prayers and "holds us in the palm of his hand" even when we try to handle everything ourselves.
Wishing you peace and comfort tonight!
Wanda
I've found it is easy for me to pray all day long. I pray for parking spaces, traffic safety, I pray for God to show me anyone who needs me at church, I pray when I get upset with someone.
ReplyDeleteWhat I dont do is spend time listening and being quiet. I am praying His word much much more lately, sticking my name in a Psalm here or there, claiming promises.
But that slowing down, taking time quiet time is still giving me a struggle.
Keep showing up...sitting in His presence has made a huge difference for me just this past week. I pray when I walk and drive too. It is not the same. He has shown me more, much more, and I have had conviction for things that I never would have known had I not asked and then waited in His presence. This is a totally different kind of prayer. This prayer transforms your heart and mind. It is if I have new eyes to see and new ears to hear. Be faithful to show up and be still, and He will be faithful.
ReplyDeleteI find too that this is not the time for me to do any sort of scheduled Bible reading. A verse may come to mind or He takes me to places in the Bible where I need to read - even if it is only one line, and really meditate on it. Confess it, out loud, write it down, think about it, and soak in it. This is something that has never been easy for me to do consistently in the past. Now that I have made a commitment to really stick to it and do it daily, I have had some amazing breakthroughs in January. It is really helping me. I have a clearer focus on some things, and more time to really see. It is hard to describe, but I have more clarity of mind.
I love to pray and hear God's voice. I can't say its everyday that I get an awe hah moment but it happens enough that it keeps me on my knees thanking God for His presence in my life. This week, however, I was the recipient of someone else praying for me. We decided to send our son to an east coast school on Saturday and was on a plane Tuesday. My son, K and I were experiencing a racing heart. I prayed and couldn't get rid of it. 3 days of nervousness was awful. I called in the troops, 5 minutes before leaving for the airport I shot a quick email to a few prayer warriors. Sitting at the airport I noticed my heart had stopped racing and K's too. A few minutes later, I received a text, "called my husband to come home and pray with me for You & K." Sweet words. I could feel when the prayer warriors were praying sensing God's presence was powerful and got me through a very hard week.
ReplyDeleteOn the plane there I read a guidepost story of a son's miracle walking. The mothers conclusion. PRAY, HOPE, and don't worry.
I remembered when I left my daughter in London (study abroad program) I cried the entire plane ride home. So, I prayed, Lord help me to trust you and not worry. I don't want to cry all the way home. My son has special needs and this is the first time he has ever been away from home. The East coast is a very long way from the west coast. I got on the plane in Connecticut changing planes in Chicago. A gal got on my flight last minute Chicago - Los Angeles. She did not get on the city that the college was. You won't believe this: she had competed with that college in horse shows and ended up being a TA for the college my son is at. She assured me that he was in good hands and that this semester was going to be life changing for him. Thank you Lord, for showing me that prayer matters both being the recipient and the giver.
Robbie,
DeleteI just came to my computer this morning and wanted to ck in and read the posts and just starting crying after reading your post. I just know it's so hard to see our kids leave when we are not to sure what the right path is for them. I just PRAISE our god for being with you and showing you "HE LOVES YOU SO MUCH"
I get TEXT scriptures to my phone each day:
DeleteThis is what I got the morning
The LORD replied.. I look favorable on you, and I know YOU by name. Ex 33:17
They text a question to me also:
Do u believe GOD cares this much about u? WHY?
I think you can answer this question with a Loud YES!
Robbie,
DeleteYou and your family are in my heart, mind, and prayers daily. As an educator, I pray scriptures for all our children, including yours.
Praying, for me, has always been an all day type of action. Never did spend intimate time with my Father. Now I have an appointment daily with him. To spend time in his word, praying and listening. I eagerly wait for his guidance and comfort.
ReplyDeletePg. 33 "When your desire to make a change grows in an area, the first obvious or outer change will be in the way you spend your time."
ReplyDeleteThis is what it takes, an evaluation and change in how we spend our time, but I feel my time is so tight already- I barely watch tv (maybe 2 hrs/wk), and do little facebooking or outside reading, so I'm going to ask the Lord to show me where I may be blind to time I am wasting.
Pg. 34: I would like to be in bed by 9:30, and up by 5:30. Most days (5/7) I spend 30-60 minutes. I want to get that to 7/7 days.
I've been reading the One Year Bible for going on 6 years now and love it! I have added listening to the Word via the Daily Audio Bible app and it is wonderful! It goes right along with our CYL Daily Bible plan. So, I try to listen to the passages first, perhaps as I prepare things in the kitchen, then I spend time journaling about the verses that jumped out at me as I listened. (I'm teaching myself to be a better listener... a weakness of mine.)
God loves my children even more than I do!! I keep thinking of that as I read some of your posts this week. Sometimes it is so hard for me to not be able to take care of the health needs of my son who is in the Bay area and travels continually while in terrible pain. And my daughter struggles with teaching special need children in an extremely poor school and each day she is exhausted and broken hearted and needs God more than her mother. I'm sure some of you are like me and would like to "fix it" but thankfully we have a God that is the master "fixer" and He has a plan!!! Talking to Him and being in His Word has always been in the answer - I'm so glad He's in control and not me!! The listening is so important and that's what I'm working on!!! And leaving it all with Him - will I ever quit taking it back?!?
ReplyDeleteBelieve that God is using your daughter to change the lives of the children she teaches. And, know that through his plans things will be fixed.
DeleteI, too am an educator in South Texas and experience daily things I cannot change. Overall, I believe that my actions will be remembered by children and by God.
My daily commitment to read is in place:) Yeah. This year, my time with Reading my bible is about focusing and savoring, so I am actually reducing how much I try to read in one day. I am also trying to come up with at least 1 prayer card from each reading. A topic to pray about. I struggle with the concept of journaling with prayer and the thought that someone my read my journal. My ex did and it still spills over into my ability to truly bring my truth to god...lets face it, sometimes our truth is ugly, but it is also necessary to be truthful so we can see it. I do this through writing, but no longer write with the innocence in my prayers because I can't shake the need to be careful.
ReplyDeleteFor privacy in my journal I abbreviate or use symbols in areas I would not be comfortable exposing. This has helped me have more freedom as I write. Hope this helps. :)
DeleteI am adjusting to a new sleep schedule with a second job. I can work 60 hrs, I gave up those additional 20 for monetary gain, seven less hours of TV should be worth my spiritual gain with THE most important King, Savior and Friend. The one who loves me most.
ReplyDeleteI have a good prayer life, it has increased significantly in the last year. Even still, I want to be in tuned to God and seeking his voice. I do notice that I need to give up talking so much and pray more. I meet with a gal every wednesday morning and we pray for all kinds of things, we spend time praising God and sometimes our prayers are silent pulling in God's goodness. One thing we have found that we need to give up is the talking. We would find ourselves talking about what we wanted to pray about and then having very little time to pray. So for me, talking is definitely something I can give up. My prayer partner and I now walk and talk and when we get back to the house we pray.
ReplyDeleteBelated hello everyone! My name is Jan and to spend more time w/God I must first give up my vaunted independence(I would have posted much sooner if I had asked God how to maneuver this blog-posting business instead of figuring it out: not to worry, though, I'm not sure how I got here so there'll be another opportunity, I'm sure:>) Anyhow, first independence (what WILL I have left, dear Jesus? Oh, YOU?!), then staying up very late (pure hedonism) followed rapidly by knitting less (high closure needs:>)
ReplyDeleteIn order to pray each day, I have to give up a few moments of time doing the following: Surfing Facebook, mindless eating, watching TV and having multiple phone conversations. I'm learning that I don't have to fully eliminate them, I just have to be mindful of the amount of time I spend doing them. If I do this I am more than prepared with free time to spend with the King. I do have to make an appt. It's a learned behavior but Im already starting to get in the swing and crave that time. It's been so special and worth every minute.
ReplyDeleteAs others have mentioned, having a prayer life will require discipline. I make time each week for regular exercise, why not regular prayer? I will never have more time than I have right now. After all, I have twenty-four hours each day just like the rest. I'll find time for the things I choose. So, it comes down to choosing to find time for God -- still comes down to free will, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteWith my schedule, I have found it easiest to spend time with God in the morning before leaving for work. That way, I make sure I get my time in every day. Weekends are a little harder since the schedule is different, but I make sure to plan ahead and know when I am going to do it to ensure I have that time as well. I do see I am going to need to be a little more disciplined and get up about 10 minutes earlier to make sure I have time to do a little more than my daily Bible reading and prayer time, as I want to work an additional study into my quiet time.
ReplyDeleteI woke up this morning early and didn't want to get out of bed but then I heard the song "Better is One Day In Your Courts Than a Thousand Elsewhere" in my head and I got up, had my appt with the King, and I have had a miraculous day. Huge answer to prayer today.
ReplyDeletePraise God, His Spirit will not let go of us until we are Holy. Thank you God!
P 34 "The things I have to give up or change in order to pray each day are...."
ReplyDeletesleep - getting up earlier means I have to get to bed earlier which is ok by me most of the time. Getting up early also has to be planned into a day if I am traveling etc or I have to make my appt later which I did last week on a ski trip. Not a big deal. So far, so good.
I love what I'm reading! Keep it up! B
ReplyDeleteThe things I have to give up are sleep, wine (and the associated wasted time and health), time alone or productive time at night after everyone has gone to bed, "veg" time. I have a 3 year old and two teenagers so when their awake, my time is not my own. Mornings feel like my only choice and think God's calling me to 6 AM meetings...i'm resisting heavily because that means going to bed earlier.
ReplyDeleteNow that I'm writing this, and after three weeks of pretty consistent listening, I think my main problem in the perception that "my time", wine or "veg time" gives me. I think, "I need it" or "I deserve it". I will wake up the next day refreshed and clear headed, feeling good about accomplishing the night before, ready to tackle the day. Reality is, however, that I don't! I wake up and feel like the proverbial wheel hasn't stopped, that I haven't had a chance to get off it overnight.
What does refresh me or make me focused and relaxed is those quiet moments with God. Those moments I'm not taking control, producing, or getting my list done but those moments I'm sitting, quiet, eyes closed, writing what comes to mind. Writing in peoetic ways "I" didn't know I could write. I think that is when it is God. My endorphins rush with those revelations...a greater rush than I can ever get with a checking something off my list, a TV show or glass of wine (or bottle:)
(...yes Becky, I related quite a bit when you spoke at Bayside. When I sat in with the young girls, I related so much to your story, their story and the hurts associated with it. I cried after and my 16 year old asked why. I didn't tell her my details but I told her I made alot of mistakes and I know she could see the associated pain through my tears.)
Anyway, this is what I think God said to me after writing page 34. I have waited all week to write this post because I didn't know if it was just for me or I was to share it (or my motivations for sharing it)...
I'm worried about getting things done-how many hours I have..."But, my dear child, what you should worry about is the hours you have with me. I can multiply your work-remember loaves and fishes, you give me your first...the first of your time...I'll multiply it and be faithful."
I promise that future posts won't me this long:)
Such insights you have. Thank you for sharing your heart, it was well received. Any time you are prompted to write long posts just remember there is some one out here that needs to read them. Write on..
DeleteI know this is very late. I waste a lot of time. I am very disorganized and I am experiencing some things that make my lack of focus worse. I would like to be more organized to the point where I can make a basic schedule and keep it. Putting a limit to the amount of time I am on social media or playing games and watching TV. They all allow an escape. I need to find answers from God not escapes from other things.
ReplyDelete