Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Session One: Discover Prayer

I'm really excited for this series--so many new faces, both men and women, who have "decided" to go deeper in their prayer lives.  To me, that means, to know God better, yes?

I like to think of this series as "A School of Prayer."  I hope you EXPECT to learn and grow, as well as to study and struggle to grasp the power of prayer that is available to you.

Housekeeping: On the "live" call each week, I'll share from the book (both from the previous and next assignment) so that we stay connected with our readings.  Note: If you cannot make the "live" call, I will post the recorded call info on the blog.  You won't receive call info from FREECONFERENCE.com for the recorded call, but from our exclusive blog by 5 pm day of call. Please schedule your calls on your calendar--either "live" or when you plan to listen to the recorded call.  One post per session per person will be encouraged (by me).

On occasion, I will ask you to bring a comment to the phone call, but normally I just open on prayer at the top of the hour and deliver a short 10 minute devotional and close with your assignment and prayer.  You are welcome to mute the "live" call during my devotional so no background noise will be heard.  (Hit *6 on your keypad to mute your phone--you will still be able to hear me.)

Finally, I encourage you to "join" the blog so you get my assignments emailed directly into your inbox in a timely manner.  I expect to end with everyone who has started.


Session One Assignments (due before Session Two on January 18): 

Please read Chapter ONE: Victory over Prayerlessness
Take the Prayerlessness test on p. 21.
Take the Misconceptions quiz on pp. 22-23.
Post on the blog which "misconception" scored highest on your quiz.  (You can add comments if you would like to elaborate.)


My personal challenge (and goal) for each of you is to make and keep a 10 minute daily appointment with God (minimum) as soon as possible and stick to it for the entire year.  For some of you, it might take a few weeks to incorporate this habit into your life.  For others, you might have a consistent, more extensive, time already.  Either way, it might require that you set a ringer on your phone or calendar--one day in advance--to be consistent.  If you would like to accept my challenge, please post your intentions on the blog!

Here we go!

Be encouraged,

Becky

84 comments:

  1. I am up for a good challenge. I have an extensive time with God every morning but my goal is to be more focused and purposeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept the challenge. I love having accountability and believe this group will be the ticket to a greater focus on prayer in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Team! My name is Robin. I live in Fullerton, Ca. I'm very excited to grow my prayer life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accept the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had such a black and white mentality that if I can't do 15-30 minutes then I don't do it. But I know I can put my 3 year old off for 10 minutes:) I said I wanted to change so here goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My intention is to spend 10 minutes a day with the living, loving God. There are a million less important things I manage to squeeze in every day. Reading the word and prayer are going to become a non-negotiable, daily staple in my life. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to the challenge and a focus for me on every day, not missing any.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I accept the challenge and know that God will be meeting me in the quiet time that I have. What a wonderful way to start 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam in Texas

    Yes, I accept the challenge knowing that God will guide me but you will keep me accountable. May we all enjoy a blessed year together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I accept the challenge to start AND finish strong in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I accept the challenge to make and keep a 10 minute appointment with God daily starting today and keeping it for the entire year! Like Wanda T said, I want to start AND finish strong in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I accept the challenge! I want prayer to be the most natural response to every situation. I have "tried" before, but now I can onlycommit and follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I accept the challenge and am excited! I like Patti's comment about prayer being the most natural response in every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am excited about the challenge. I not only want to learn more about prayer but to draw closer to God in all areas of my life and I know that prayer will be the key element to that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can always manage to find time for things I enjoy or interest me or I feel I must do to keep up appearances. But these things I spend my time on do not impact my life in any way close to what a relationship with my Lord will. That is eternal. I must accept the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I accept the challenge and look forward to it. I think for me the accountability of being a part of a group also helps me to keep my focus in right direction. I'm looking forward to all the stories of blessings. Thank you Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. My highest score was on the I'm so busy, He'll understand misconception. I do my daily reading (one-year through the Bible format) and a couple of daily devotionals; however, it often becomes more of a ritual and a box I need to check off each day rather than an intimate time with my Father. I often think He knows my heart so I rationalize that He knows how much I love Him. I sense Him speaking to me through my grandchildren when I see how important my time is to them. I desire to have more of that "grandchild-like" attitude with my heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam in Texas

    Misconceptions that are high include:
    #3 God does not always answer prayer,
    and #4 My prayer has no power.

    And, as I reflect on these two it may be that in my "habit" and with my "structure" I may not be really "asking" what I want or am seeking.

    So, again I joined this group so that I may find a way to deepen my learning and dependence upon God. Thank you for keeping me accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hate to sound like I am copying you Pam but that's exactly what I struggle with:

    #4. MY prayer has no power
    #3 God doesn't ALWAYS answer prayer
    #7 God knows everything so Why pray

    MY Prayer for this year:
    That I will AS Becky said: Become a daily, consistent, effective, and powerful prayer.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dale,
    just wanted to comment on your post. I am cutting back on daily E-mail devotions and books that I read to inspire me. JOT=Just One Thing

    Becky encouraged us to do just one thing. It's still hard with so many good things to read. Maybe that will help you just pick out what has the most meaning for you. Say JUST read the proverbs or just read new testament. I don't know just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello everyone,
    This is Robin in Florida. My highest score was #8: I'm too busy, He'll understand. Followed by #3 God doesn't always answer prayer and #4 My prayer has no power.
    I look forward to proving myself wrong.
    (Hello Trish)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,

    My highest score is #3 God doesn't always answer prayer. I have a prodigal that I have been praying for since I became a Christian in 1999. After watching her walk farther away from God over the last 4 years, I found it difficult to continue to pray a believing prayer. So that led to my second highest which was #4 My prayer has no power. Since my prodigal would have just the opposite people come into her life than what I had prayed. However, as I was looking over my journal the last 5 years, I did notice that I had missed seeing some prayers were answered. The biggie of her walking with God doesn't seem to be an answered prayer "in my mind". But this convicted me to start praying again so that is why I am in this class. To pray a believing prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had to really search my heart instead of my head for this question. I agree I feel mine is #4 that prayer has no power but more than that I guess my biggest misconception - which was not on the list - is that God does not hear me. I feel like I am speaking to myself in my prayers as I don't feel like there is any connection. I know logically that this is not true and I see some of my prayers answered but I still feel a lack of connection.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can echo the feelings of Lorraine and Stacy.
    I know they say God answers with Wait, Yes or No but for me sometimes it seems like wait and wait and wait. I often ask Him, don't storms usually at least end for a time? Don't people at least see the sun come out for awhile?
    I do see answers in small things sometimes, and in fact my husband (who is not a believer) will say "you must have prayed about this!" when something good happens or an answer comes.
    But still, the issues with #3 and #4 really trouble me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Keep the posts coming PLUS keep up the 5/5...daily:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Patti, praying for you and adding you to my list. So many of us are struggling with job loss, financial problems and the current economy. As a small business owner, we are having our own share of struggles. God cares about each and every need. As I said, I will add you to my list. I know what the overwhelming stress and pressure feels like. I'm trying to give the gift of prayer to each person I meet with these kinds of situations as I bring our own to the Lord.
    Many blessings to you. May you sense His presence with you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yesterday, I found a cassette tape in an old tape player. Guess who was in the player? Becky, dated 1993. That was the start of bringing everything to God in prayer. In 1997 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and stuck in bed for a year. My prayer life blossomed and I discover the immense power and closeness with God. Then 2 years ago I flew to Atlanta (my daughter lives there) I am in So. California to hear Becky speak, where I picked up the concept of praying, reading the DWB and listening to God speak to me. Whew, exciting times. Each year I seem to incorporate a little more to refresh my time with God. At this point, I couldn't come up with a misconception. I have unanswered prayer in my life (3 big ones) but feel that those are the areas God has requested me to push on and don't let satan have any foothold. I cling to what I know is true and the amazing ways God has protected and guided my life. Last year Becky and I prayed boldly that my husband would join me at church. We had our 1 year anniversary of him going to church with me just recently. So I feel HOPE that God hears my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. After reading Becky's book and being honest with myself, my biggest misconceptions are that God already knows my needs and that I am too busy. Of course, I know that the first is true, and that the second is false. Being honest is hard here, I know that sometimes, I feel like I am talking to myself rather than to God. I feel like I am committing heresy to put that into writing, but we were encouraged to be honest, yes?

    It does help to see others be equally honest, so I do thank each of you who have written before me.

    ReplyDelete
  33. In the past I would say that prayer having no power would be my misconception, but I'm learning that the more I pray, the more I fast, that God indeed hears and answers prayers. I have to remember it is in His time, His way and not always my time and my way. I want His best though as I know we all do and I don't want to settle for less than that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My biggest misconception is that prayer is boring. I have a very small attention span and I always want to be moving but prayer requires me to focus, it seems like a very tedious task to go down a list and pray for people daily. My prayer is that the Lord will change my heart to have an overwhellming desire to pray for others continuously and for me to realize that people need me to pray for them because of the spiritual battles we face daily.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I deleted my earlier posts and put them in one thought. My biggest issue is believing my prayers make a difference. I want to let prayer change my life. I have prayed believing and stepped out on faith through that prayer. The answer did not come as I thought I heard it. There was an extreme personal cost that still continues. I am not regretful that I followed what I thought to be the answer. I am convinced that prayer will be the break through in my faith that He can work through in me. Laura, I appreciate you adding me to your list for prayer. I want to be more transparent with others. I know my only help comes from the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  36. AMEN, Patti! I so hear you ( as well as so many other posts!)!! Laura, thanks for going to the effort of sharing God's gifting of compassion, encouragment, and prayer for others...plus taking the time and more to post it. So helpful for all of us.

    I am soooo appreciating each of you in Christ! I "see" the spirit moving in this very special group. I am blessed beyond measure to be a part of this group, gift, and momentum.

    I will be articulating my own response to Session One, very soon. I can hardly believe it, Becky T.; although I do. I used to feel like one of the prophets, or as you have said such a "radical born again, Christian, that not even Christians can stand to be around me! Yes! There are more who flawed and all take this Christ Follower life to heart and ask The Holy Spirit to fill our cups and move us...make us more and more like Him. Totally an act of grace, through faith, with an ever willing heart to get up and keep stepping out. Even, when it can leave us without much in friends.

    You go, Patti! Dianne C.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hi all,
    I am just getting on board because I am really struggling. I'm having a hard time getting started on my first assignment and I know it's all spiritual. I have no good reason except that I am very discouraged. My teenage daughter is really taking a toll on our family. She may have to be removed from our house as soon as tomorrow. The things she is struggling with are all spiritual as well.We adopted her when she was 4, but I think what she is struggling with are generational sins of her birth parents. We don't know exactly what they are either. But, I KNOW beyond the shadow of a doubt, that it's all spiritual. My problem is that I can't for some reason pray for her. I know this battle can only be fought on my knees and I can't get there. Please pray for me that I can pray for her and this situation. I know God is calling me to do so, but I just can't. Perhaps I have too much hurt and I am too emotionally involved. Please pray for me over the next day. thanks to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maureen
      I'll pray for her for you. going to Everyhome for Christ this weekend. come if u can.

      Delete
    2. can you give me the details?

      Delete
    3. Maureen,
      I am so sorry! i couldn't get on line for some reason. I will infor. you about the next School of Prayer At Every Home for Christ. the Web site is EHC.org

      Delete
  38. Lord, you knew in my prayer time this morning that I was to pray for someone I didn't know that was on this blog. Lord, we lift up Maureen and her daughter to you. Thank you , my sovereign Lord, that you have been with ___ since she was born, you know her whole life and all the sins of her parents, You have known her even before she was born and that You wrote in Your book all the days that You ordained for her before one of them came to be. You are the controller of all things. Lord, wrap your loving arms around Maureen that she might sit at your feet, knowing that you will hear her cries. It is no accident that she is in this group, it is by your design. So we boldly lift this difficult situation to you and ask that you intervene on behalf of _______ and Maureen and the family. You are great and greatly to be praised and honored. Holy Spirit go before and behind this family that they would know your presence. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  39. Maureen,
    Please know that my prayers are with you, too. Sometimes it is so difficult to know how to deal with teenagers; they can test our patience and leave us doubting our own abilities, but God knows what they--and we--are going through.

    Experts say that it takes five positives to overcome a negative. Today was the last day before exams for my A-Day students, and I'm sorry to say that I lost my patience with a couple of them and spoke harshly. It left me feeling terrible. I drove home reminding myself that they are going through so many changes right now--both physical and emotional, and I probably added to their "angst."

    I need to get on my knees tonight and pray that I will say the right words to those students if I see them tomorrow; I am also praying that I will be more patient with the students I'll be seeing in the B-Day classes. As I spend time in prayer, I will ask God's intervention in your situation. May he bring you a real sense of his presence and guidance for you and your family.

    Alone we are powerless, but Phil 4:13 reminds us that we "can do all things through Christ who strengthens us."

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mickey,

    What is Everyhome for Christ? I have never heard of it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYHome for Christ is a missions oriented organization and the equip young people to go Home to home with Literature. They have a School of Prayer every month that is so encouraging. You can listen to the teaching on-line at EHC.org and GO to the teaching tab and down load the teaching. I get so much out of the teaching each time. You should check out just one sermon and see what you think.

      Delete
    2. Also, Thanks for your post to Maureen.

      Delete
  41. Every Home for Christ (World Literature Crusade) is a missions organization dedicated to home by home evangelism. Their goal is to reach the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbie,
      thanks for the reply on Every Home for Christ. I couldn't get online and was frustrated.

      Delete
  42. Haven't been able to get in all day to read anything here. Finally working, hope to catch up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Maureen and all, I can so relate. I have 3 teenagers. We are hanging in there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love reading all of your posts. I'm excited to journey together with everyone! I scored highest on misconception number 1 and 8 - "Prayer is boring" and "I'm so busy He'll understand". Wow, that was hard to admit! The proof is in the pudding though, I neglect my prayer life because I settle for other "exciting" things like facebook, the cooking channel and talking on the phone. Seriously, it sounds so lame to write but it's true. I know God is far more exciting, colorful, flavorful and amazing than these other "flashy" things, but due to my lack of time spent with Him, I don't know him well enough to trust and expect these things from Him. Ouch...Truth! For goodness sake, the fact that He made the sunrise today is WAY exciting...right? I praise God for this accountability group. I pray I keep my commitment and spend time with my Father every day so I stop taking God's beautiful grace and forgiveness for granted and start experiencing more of who He really is........not who I've made him to be. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Quick note, apparently blogger made some changes and doesnt like certain web browsers anymore. It's letting me in at the moment but still acting funny. Just an FYI in case anyone else has odd things happening.
    I am indeed praying for you Patti, and need urgent prayers myself. We're dealing with a corrupt, threatening situation in our small business on top of no income. God knows the details. Please pray for His provision and assistance.
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I would have to say my biggest misconception is #8 I'm so busy, He'll understand! I guess I tell myself a lie that what is taking up my time are positive things so it's ok. The reality is I have put other things before Christ. I long for that powerful prayer time, but I've made so many excuses from starting.

    ReplyDelete
  47. # 1,4, and 7 were what I ranked high in.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Well...I KNOW and Believe the following misconceptions are not true, because 1. God tells us what is 100% true in His Word, confirmed by The Holy Spirit, who lives in me. 2. God does not have favorites or make junk. Like others, perhaps, that does not mean that I don't also buy into "feelings" about my being an exception to the "rule" and other lies, that I know are straight from my wounded flesh and soul. I would NEVER make these exceptions, thinking that they apply to anyone else, but me. I would also like to add that the following misconceptions and lies are clear evidence that I need a staggering abundance of time lovingly committed on a daily basis to reading His Word and Praying the "Write" way. These tragic feelings, I face head on routinely, have always diminished in direct proportion to how much time I am purposefully devoted to bring in The Word and (journaled) prayer.

    My personalized misconceptions/lies are number 3: god does not always answer "MY" prayer, along with number 4, My prayer has no power, because I am not worth His time... Since I am somehow defective and unworthy/unloveable in general. Plus, number 6, I'm so sick, tired, defective, repetitive, discouraged, lack focus...whatever...He too, would understand "why bother, she is a looser all around".

    Again, I know with all that I know of Him, plus the fact I'd be the first in line to fight/pray for anyone else to have such beliefs/feelings, that are obvious lies from He'll. Yet, there it is, the wounded person inside of me, still at some level belies that trash. I fear I must not be the only one who struggles with such unbief tailored just for me.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi from Cindy in San Antonio - I have tried to send this 3 times so hopefully you won't have to read it 3 times!! I was a little late getting into the group so I am playing "catch up". I looked forward to taking the Misconception Test because I love to pray but I was pretty sure this would point out something big to me - and it did! I definitely rated high on #8. I get "busy" with church and ministry work - and my family - and suddenly I am squeezing time out of my prayer and devotion time with God. I know that this group will help with that accountability and I thank you for it already!! I'm looking forward to the live call on Wednesday.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I ranked highest on #4 my prayer has no power - although, after events that occurred this weekend, I know He is answering prayer although it is very difficult for me right now and I am having to make some very difficult decisions. #6 -doing something else which is more productive and # 8 - I'm so busy, He will understand rank high as well. I have committed each day to Him, and I need Him now more than I have ever needed Him, and no matter what, I chose to obey Him. I am going to "Higher Ground" in all conflicts in my life right now - I am doing a Peacekeeper ministry study with a group from our church. It is killing my fleshly responses
    daily cause I need that big time, and I want peace. Peace is my umpire. If I do not have peace, I will ask why God, why God do I not have peace, and then do what He wants me to do to make it right. I have been escaping conflict for years. No more.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I found some encouragement through the daily reading this in through the Change Your Life Daily Bible reading. Psalm 13:1-6 The psalmist David is feeling the same things some of us have been saying..."O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way..(vs4) Don't let my enemies gloat saying, "We have defeated him!" Don't let them rejoice at my downfall." Then vs. 5&6 are the hold on and don't let go part!!! "But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me. I will sing to the Lord because he has been so good to me." I know this is true! I must get these words from my head to my heart and I will be different for the Lord to work through! Have a fabulous day, fellow sojourners in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Patti, been reading and re-reading Psalms like that all week.
    Trying to believe, The Battle Belongs to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you have been in my prayers for a long time now, God will make a way for you and your husband.
      There is an issue that I have been praying for quite some time and it seemed like God was silent. Becky suggested that I change the prayer, which I did, and just tonight, I was encouraged by a glimmer of hope that my prayer would be answered.
      My son, who is waiting to see if he will be admitted back into the University got word today that another school has accepted him. Glimmer of hope.
      One of my friends said, pray for the individual and trust the results to God.
      So I am praying.

      Delete
  53. Better late than never........ finally getting my assignment done!!!
    On the misconception test I scored highest on #8 "I'm so busy, He'll understand. Coming in second was # 6 "Doing something else is more productive than praying".
    They actually go hand in hand....I am busy doing other things that I think are more productive or what I think is more important than praying. Very interesting that I scored high in both. I think this is very telling and all so true. I am by nature a task master and like to check of my to do box and feel good about crossing things off.
    Often times I think that I should be doing more than just "sitting" and praying and waiting on the Lord. I often feel too idle and impatient. I know it's a total misconception, but realize that is what hinders me from having a vibrant relationship with our Lord. I also feel that God knows what I am going through, so I often ask myself, do I really need to come to him, he already knows!
    I look forward to having these misconception be gone by this time next year, if not sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Robbie, it wont let me post under "Reply."
    I'm glad to hear your son has found an option! Thank you for your continued prayers, much needed..

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow! When I logged on this morning and read Maureen's first four lines, they were exactly what I was planning to write. . . . At the very beginning of the chapter, Becky wrote about "burnout--overwork, little rest, and too much responsibility." That has been my state for some time now, and I know that things need to change. As some of you know, I spent a little more than a year and a half taking college courses toward another degree; even though I finished the program last spring, I still struggle with finding balance in my life. Short-cutting sleep simply doesn't work, and yet I keep cutting corners there and then wonder why I feel out of sorts.

    I remember hearing a speaker say one time that while we may feel that we don't have enough time in our day to do everything that we need to do, we always have enough time to do the things God has for us to do. So far this year I have been successful in keeping my daily appointment with God, and I feel better. I've also decided that I simply have to schedule time in my week for exercise, and I've been going to the gym at least twice each week. The workouts have also boosted my spirits. Now if I can ever get all of the papers and exams graded, perhaps I'll be able to start the new semester on the right track. (Today is the second day for our students' exams; the next semester begins on Wednesday of next week.)

    Laura, I continue to pray for you and your husband and the job situation. Robbie, I'm also praying that your son will get in just the right school/program and will really blossom this year. I'm also praying that each member of this group will be blessed by the assignments to come. Becky, thank you so much for all that you are doing for us.

    Hope I'm making sense this morning as I get ready to dash off to class. Looking forward to listening to this afternoon's call.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Greetings in Christ, to all! Wanda T, you certainly made sense and resonated with me. Everyone here is sharing challenges, victories, and journeys, that are a part of my own. I am in agreement in prayer for others and myself, family, etc. We all probably know that wherever two or more are together in His Name, He is very, very present. There is awesome power for me, to be exiting, slowly, a long period of isolation, being a lone sheep (Saten loves that kind of vulnerable target!), and now entering into community with this very, very, special group, and alas accountability as well. I praise God for each and every one of you. You can know I mean it, when I say you are in my prayers, daily. There are times, when like Moses, we need our arms held up for us, because the battle can be long and weary. There are times that I find it very easy to do that through prayer for others, yet I really need someone else to pray for me... because I can't, other than The Holy Spirit interceding on my behalf.

    Thank you for being a safe group. A group that is willing to be vulnerable, like clay in the Potter's hand, and to extend being authentic with the group. In the South, they say "It don't get no better than this". Thank you, Becky, for still standing, teaching, and leading, after all these years!

    Dianne C.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Better now thank never. 1st misconception is prayer is boring. A close second is God doesn't always answer. I'd love those to be changed in my heart.

    Not doing great on the ten minute challenge. I hit maybe 3 out of seven days a week and I can't guaranty it's 10 minutes. It's the routine thing again.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Debra, Thank you for sharing so transparently, your quiet time with God today. It so clearly illustrates in a "bring it home, God, way, what an awesome walk available to us through our two way conversations. Even more importantly, what I/we are missing, when I/we don't keep our committ
    ment with God Himself, on top of the fall out of rationalizing our lack of keeping our word with others. Your experience certainly could be my own. No doubt, God will use your testimony to reinforce my own with Him today. I really appreciate your being authentic and following through with your commitment to blogging/ accountability with us.

    So bummed that I had a meeting that ran overtime, leaving me unable to be on our live call today. Yet, when I headed straight to my email (have not heard the recorded call, as of yet), there is Debra, with the exact post God knew I needed to read.

    Thank you for your truthfulness and therefore immense encouragement. Dianne C.

    flu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne, thank you for your kind words! I don't see my post here at all though, lol, although attempting it numerous times. Sure hope y'all aren't seeing many posts from me. I don't even see the ones I posted previously on other dates although I did the day posted. Hmmm...I'll have to get hubby to help me out :) May tomorrow be an exciting time of fellowship between our Lord and you! ~ Debra

      Delete
  59. Debra, I may not see all your posts. I'd need to rally ups search. All posts, including my own, end up in my email as an individual item. I read them (they are only the first few lines. I hit the blog link usually, to read all of it. Sometimes the email contains all of the post). It also gives me a link to hit, if I want to comment or post myself, unrelated to anyone else's post. I always am surprised to get an email of my own posts, which are a clear reminder I should have reviewed it first. It is like I am a little pooch or cat, surprised each time I see my own. I believe you adjust the blog setting to send you emails w each post or not. From there I have created a file that I send them to. Your posts are coming through loud and clear, articulate too! I enjoy the way you share like telling a story that you experienced. They are very "real" and engaging.

    As Becky would say, be encouraged! Blessings, Sister in Christ! Dianne C.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I am just getting finished with my first assignment. I am taking the 10 minute (or more) challenge for the rest of 2012. The misconceptions that I scored highest on my test were #4-Doubting the power of God in my life; #6-Doing other things rather than praying (I am not sure these other things are more productive, but they do keep me from praying); #7-Not valuing prayer because God knows everything anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Pam in Texas

    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Though I feel my sufferings are mine alone, I read in your postings that we are similar.
    My prayers to each of you and for you.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Maureen, I tried to post on your message but it just was not going to happen. First I want to tell you that you are not alone. I will pray for you. I too was in the same situation that you are in 8 years ago. We too adopted daughter when she was 4. She lived with us for 9 years. And after trying everything, we gave up our rights as parents in 2004. It was the hardest decision that my husband and I have ever made.
    I will pray that God will give you stength and send someone that you can talk to about your daughter. It was a very dark time for me but I learned alot about God in those days. Right now you may not be able to pray for your daughter but I think the people here (I know I will) will pray for her.
    Hold on to Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  63. How do you send an email to someone individually (privately) to someone in the group?

    ReplyDelete
  64. As a rule, we don't share email addresses of members, but you can click on the person's picture or name and if they have made their address known in their profile you can reach them directly. If you have a facebook page (or the person you want to reach also has one), you can usually direct message them in that platform.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Maureen,

    Click on the picture of the person you want to send the message to. You will be taken to that person's profile page, and you can add her as a friend. I believe the message goes through Blogger to the individual, and if she chooses to accept the invitation, you will get a note back. Meanwhile, please know that you and your family remain in my prayers.

    Today in church our pastor preached the second message in a row on FAITH, saying that we are all born with it, but we often don't use it as God intends us to. I know that all of us in this group have our own set of fears and frustrations and worries, so I thought these scriptures might be helpful to all of you. (They are ones our pastor referred to in his message today.)
    Romans 10:9-17, Matthew 6:30-34, Matthew 8:23-27, and Matthew 16:5-12. I won't quote them here, but basically they urge us to TRUST God, SEEK Him first, FEAR NOT, and STOP being people of "little faith." I found them encouraging, and I hope you will as well.

    Have a great week!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  66. Robin,
    I would really like to speak with you off line regarding some adoption things.
    please email me at maureengonzalez09@gmail.com
    I would love to chat with you.

    thank you
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen,
      I sent a email last week, did you get it? If not here is my email address.
      rnewman98@yahoo.com

      Delete
  67. My major weaknesses are #6 & #8. They seem to go hand in hand. Doing something else is more productive than praying and ...I'm so busy (doing those more productive things) I'm sure he'll understand. I need to see this as a lie from the enemy- stand on the truth that prayer is where things happen- then show I believe this by how I structure my day.

    Cheers!

    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi my name is Lori, I live in the Springfield MO area! I am just now joining and look to catch up as soon as possible! I have to say the greatest weakness I have is the realization that God does extend so much grace...I believe my misconceptions are that he knows my heart and my prayers, and that he understands that I am busy! :( Although I know this it true, I am missing out on the power that is released through becoming a daily, consistent, effective, and powerful pray-er! I intend to no longer miss out! ~ Lori =D

    ReplyDelete