Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Session Twelve: Believing Prayer

Note: This is the half-way mark everyone!

This prayer principle can feel elusive or mysterious and yet we have to determine how to "process" what Jesus said in Matthew 21:22, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

The George Mueller illustrations in this chapter show the consistency that one man had to believe THAT WHAT HE WAS PRAYING was what God wanted to do.  Therefore he would not give up and consistently received answers (to feed, house, and clothe orphans).

I also share a few personal illustrations of times when I believed God for something that seemed impossible without His intervention, help or rescue.

Believing prayer can't be mustered, it just won't fade.
Believing prayer can't be ignored, it won't go away.
Believing prayer can't be forgotten, it always resurfaces.

When is a time when God convinced you of something that no one believed would happen; yet God did it?  (I love stories, please post a paragraph of a believing prayer--when you did not have to beg or muster or stress; you just knew God would do it?)

Note: I have a paragraph from Streams in the Desert to read during our phone call--you might want to take notes!

Be encouraged,

Becky

6 comments:

  1. I can think of many times that God answered my prayers when no one else thought he could. The one that sticks in my mind is an old one, I might even have already posted about it. But, since it is a good one I will take the chance and repeat myself.
    I had a lumpectomy when the doctor said you need a mastectomy we couldn’t get all the cancer. I believed this doctor was wrong and spent a day fasting and praying over the direction God wanted me to go. I got into to a cancer review Clinic (second opinion) at UCLA because someone canceled at the last minute when she found out that it was Friday the 13th.
    I prayed to God”before I walk out the door at UCLA make it clear to me what direction I need to go.”
    I was peaceful and fully expecting an answer. I had 3 hours of several doctors reviewing my films, examining me and then this panel of doctors met and made a recommendation for my treatment. It was now 6pm , everyone had gone home. My assigned doctor walked in to the examining room a little shaken. As it turns out his last review the lady got bad news and she was hysterically crying, we could all hear her. The plastic surgeon then proceeded to tell me my options which included a mastectomy and radical reconstruction. I knew for sure that this was what God wanted me to do when he (plastic surgeon) said, “before you walk out that door would you like me to pray for you?” I had just heard the worst case scenario and I was jumping for JOY, I had heard from God and I knew he was going to see me through this thing they call cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Robbie, thank you for sharing your story I am speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robbie, that sent chills down my back. The only thing that comes to mind is a prayer that I am currently praying and believing that God will answer. Our clinic needs a miracle. I do believe in miracles, but everyone else is just hoping against hope. I believe God is allowing our troubles for a purpose we can't see but I do believe he will reveal his plans. So I will keep praying when everyone is skeptical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really struggled with this lesson because it's about a verse that has been a real challenge in my life. I truly trust God to direct my life with what's best for me. I have witnessed many friends who have "huge and exciting answers" to prayer. Those are so encouraging to me and just stregthen my faith. Yet I have been praying for a health situation for my son and I seem to be ignorant of God's big plan. I do believe with all my heart that God can heal my son's health situation - I was even reading an old journal and saw this same prayer from 7 years ago. I have had a really rough couple of weeks as I tried to see what God wanted me to learn from this lesson. I see Him constantly in my daily walk but am I not really believing?.....One more reason to keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this doesnt totally fit the bill but...
    I had been looking for a new church. Decided to try something smaller. And this is only my third church since 1982 or so. Anyway, I had been pretty sure God would help me find one and it looks like I have. I think I am more confident in the decision than anyone knew I would be. And sure enough, it was a prayer I had written in my notebook since starting this class and I already have the answer!

    PS Robbie, thanks for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dug out my biography of Mueller, which I have been planning to read for some time. I hope I can get to it this time. I also still cant quite pinpoint the qote from Streams in the Desert for the day Becky read it.
    Thanks for those who provided me a link to the free online version!

    ReplyDelete