Greetings Everyone. We began with about 50 sojourners. Our goal was to "let prayer change our lives." My goal was to encourage you to PRAY MORE in 2012, and more specifically to pray daily for at least 5 minutes and to read God's Word daily for at least 5 minutes.
Did you PRAY MORE? Your assignment is to post your answer to this question, "How did MORE PRAYER change your life?"
As for our final session in Let Prayer Change Your Life Workbook, we turn to the Appendix titled, Fasting: The Next Step. I wrote this chapter almost 20 years ago. The discipline of fasting is for everyone. It is not a "higher" call, but a strategic aspect of one's prayer life. All of us must learn to fast! Why? Breakthrough. Answers that don't come any other way. In order to put a deeper intention and sacrifice into our conversations with God!
In this appendix, I share both VERY practical and VERY spiritual applications for fasting. They are equally important. We often forget that planning ahead is part of spiritual maturity. It isn't simply having good intentions or great needs. We need to be disciplined in our bodies, minds, and spirits...
More on the call. Now...a Final Note of Challenge:
As you know I've been working with HS students in my neighborhood for the past 12 weeks. I've challenged them to the same, including reading through the NT, Psalms and Proverbs next year. This week, I will give them each a Bible and a GOLD STAR for the last 7 days. Yes, I've resorted to rewards for daily Bible reading--and it works. When they are not internally motivated, something about receiving a GOLD STAR on a chart rallies them! (Perhaps this idea could work for you and your family).
This week is our last blog and last phone call...of a year-long series. In light of the recent national (and I am guessing personal) tragedies, I beg you to make daily Bible reading the one non-negotiable appointment in your day for 2013. There is no other voice that will calm, comfort, correct or direct you like God's voice and no other way I know to hear Him powerfully and personally like He speaks when you read His Word.
I challenge you to bring others along with you in 2013. I am inviting 12 students and 20 adults to read the CYL Daily Bible this year -- to read along with me. I will be their encourager. I don't plan to teach them from the Bible, just gently goad each one to "come to God, the King" daily to His Voice, then ask, "What did God say to you?"
His voice is transforming, empowering. It brings both hope and warning. Don't miss a day of it in 2013!
Be encouraged,
Becky
If you need Bibles shipped to you before Christmas (or the the New Year) for one or more family/friends (free shipping), click here or just call Reggie directly between 11-3 daily at 800.444.6189. Included is a 52 Week PDF to guide you as you lead and encourage others. What a great and life-long gift you would give to lead your family through the Bible in 2013. Come on!!!!!
I am looking forward to actually being on the call tomorrow. I can't believe this year is over!! I never dreamt that i would go through the physical challenges i have been through this year. I keep telling myself that God has a plan and it's all about His timing. I really think He has continued to show me how much i love being in His Word and in Fellowship with Him and am so hurting when i miss my time with Him. Even though my health has kept me down for much of the last 4 months - i truly have gained so much and kept up with reading posts and thoughts of others. Becky - you and the students comments have been such an encouragement to me as I trecked back and forth to the hospital. I have not given up - in fact i look forward to making a decision about next year. Blessing to each of you - Cindy
ReplyDeleteOver the weekend I started a book call "7" by Jen Hatmaker It is a book about her experiment in radical obedience to Christ. In her chapter on Food she quotes Richard Rohr from his book called Simplicity. "On the way to contemplation we do the same thing that Jesus Christ did in the wilderness. Jesus teaches us not to say, "Lord, Lord," but to do the will of his Father. What must primarily concern us is we do what Jesus has bidden us to do. Jesus went into the wilderness, ate nothing for forty days, and made himself empty O purse, emptiness in and of itself isn't enough the pint of emptiness is to get ourselves of the the way so that Christ an fill us up. As soon as we are empty, there is a place for Christ, because only then are we in any sense ready to recognize ad accept Christ as the totally other, who is not me.
ReplyDeletetypo: should read: made himself empty, of course, emptiness.... not O purse. I will be more careful to proof read in the future.
DeleteI am excited to venture into fasting. Looking forward to God speaking into my life. Get me out of the way so God can fill me up. I look forward to clarity that comes from a life obedient to Jesus Christ. Not just talking about it but living it.
Looking forward to the call.
LOL I read O purse...
ReplyDeleteI would say, more prayer and more focused prayer is what changed my life this year. The more you really think on it, the more your prayers change and develop. I was able to see God unfolding plans as I prayed, but, He sometimes gives a tiny glimmer and then things get awfully quiet again. You have to listen for the next step, and have the faith to take it.
ReplyDeleteI seem to have an awful lot of new thoughts or ideas popping into my head, which (hopefullY) are from Him. I've been writing them down and driving my husband and Mom nuts if I try to share too many of them! They'll be going in my prayer notebook from now on instead of scattered all over the place.
I think after last week, we clearly see just how much more we have to rely on Him. The times are getting so scary. I think I have mentioned, my husband sees me praying and that is a good thing. Then he asks me if my prayer might have affected some situation or other. I have to be a good role model for that reason.
I've got some studies lined upfor the new year (a few that I needed to finish). I'm going to be praying for God to give me daily direction from those as well. I'm going to look for a key idea every day, and work that into my prayers.
This has been a wonderful course, but it wont mean anything if we dont change and grow. I hope that's the direction I'm headed in. It sure feels like it! Becky, you have given us much to work on (for some of us, over many years)(DIA, WAG, MIN, 8 To Do's, Shop your closet.....just to name a few.) I feel like I need to review them, and keep the skills sharpened.
Thank you Becky, Reggie and all the fellow group members for a great year!!!!!!!
Merry Christmas all. I've enjoyed being in a group with you all year and wish you many blessings.
ReplyDeleteThanks Becky!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy New Year, Laura. I have looked for your name in the new group for 2013 and see that you have not posted yet. Hope all is well with you and your family. Look forward to having you join the Revive Your Life 2013 group!
DeleteGod bless!
Wanda
Wanda, maybe one of the other quarters. I could surely use everyone's prayers. Business is very very bad, and I am trying to find extra work. I had a good paying writing job, and the editor rejected one of my articles and I cannot get another editor to work with, so now i have lost that job. He was unable to give clear direction as to what his client wanted from us, and was simply impossible to work with. I hope to catch you all another quarter.....
DeleteI am waiting on God and asking Him what to do, reading a different daily bible translation this year and praying. But I have no answers for myself or my husband. I hope you are off to a good new year at school!!!!!!!
Your last chapter on fasting touched my life in such away that I sat down and wrote down a plan for fasting. I have felt that I should be fasting for years but wasn't sure how to start so your chapter gave me guidelines to start on my fasting journey. I felt called to do a 40 day fast that I am starting. I have enjoyed your Daily Bible and this year long class on prayer that has changed my prayer life. I have returned to being more consistent in spending time every morning with God and feel that I am now equipped to take the next step. Thank you Becky.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for a wonderful, encouraging year! This really changed my prayer life and my relationship with God.
ReplyDeleteI was not as involved as I thought I would be, but as a mom of a one year old, I am learning to give myself grace. I am thankful that this was a constant motivation in my challenging year. Thank you Becky for sharing your passion and love for God with me. Even though we haven't met, I love you and am so grateful for your life.
I plan on going through the bible with a few girlfriends this year. I'm excited to see what happens!
Blessings to all, Kat
Becky,
ReplyDelete2012 was a banner year for my family. I know it was because of the closeness I sought toward God and the discipline of daily Bible reading, prayer and fasting. I started out 2012 with a Daniel fast in January and then continued fasting each month thru May. I continued with daily prayer and Bible reading. We saw so many answered prayers and the biggest of all was finally finding and purchasing the land we've always wanted (ever since we left our farm in Oklahoma in 1995 for my job). We were able to stay disciplined in our spending and raise the 20% down payment required on November 16 when we closed on 74 acres. It was a dream come true for our family. I'm comitted to continue a discipline of prayer, Bible reading and fasting in 2013. God was so good to us in 2012! We saw healings and people come to the Lord as well. Thank you Becky for your influence in my life!
This has been a year of great growth for me as well. It seems that some things require a lot of time for change - especially in the spiritual realm. It is a daily dieing to myself and asking God to humble my heart and change me. I just finished the book and the chapter on Fasting. Becky, it seems you really were led to fast in 1999/2000 for our nation and revival... which is the precise time that I started to attend a womens Bible study and in 2000, I gave my life to Christ and had a life changing encounter with God through the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Hmmmm, and all these years later, I have been encouraged and mentored by you with your blogs and coaching. Could there be a connection? Dare I say, YES!!
ReplyDeleteI have made the commitment this year to pray daily and read my Bible which has drawn me closer to Him. I am more confident in prayer ministry with my church and praying with and for others. In fact, I feel most empowered by the Holy Spirit in times of prayer with and for others and interceding for our children and families. I have more compassion and am less judgmental. Little by little, I am learning to trust God more, and to not judge others, but to love them and trust God to do His part in changing their hearts and showing them the truth.
I have some time off now on vacation to read and have noticed that in the January issue of "Charisma" magazine, there are multiple articles about fasting incuding comments from the editor Marcus Yoars for the new year; comments from Jentezen Franklin on prayer, fasting and giving; articles on juice fasting and good health; all disciplines for believers. You are right on target Becky! I have done some fasting in the past, but not nearly enough. So, I will be adding this to my disciplines for the new year. I have been exercising consistently this past year and making positive changes to my health. I have also cleared more clutter in my life and have a plan for more in 2013. I have signed up for a course I will be taking online this year in music performance. So I am going over resolutions for 2013: spiritual, physical, mental and social.
And I am excited to start your new group for January! Thank you for your faithfulness in all God has called you to do! You are the most motivating person I have ever known!